The contribution of female labour to Catalan industrialisation was very important in both the textile industry and the garment-making industry. Likewise, in the early 20th century, the tertiary sector offered women new chances for salaried jobs. This article offers an overview of the evolution of female labour at factories and home-based workshops with its specific problems, the resistances it had to overcome, the influence of the purportedly protective legislation and the consequences of women joining the workforce from the 19th century to the 1930s.
- Female labour in home-based workshops
- Industrial female labour
- Labour laws on female workers
- Standard of living and female salaried work
- Trade unions and female labour
- Women's labour conditions