Weekly docetaxel with concomitant radiotherapy in patients with inoperable oesophageal cancer

A. Font*, A. Arellano, J. Fernández-Llamazares, D. Casas, J. Boix, J. Cardenal, M. Margelí, J. L. Manzano, A. Abad, R. Rosell

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleResearchpeer-review

29 Citations (Scopus)


Introduction: To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of weekly docetaxel concurrent with radiotherapy in inoperable oesophageal cancer patients. Material and methods: Thirty-four oesophageal cancer patients with co-morbid medical conditions, locally advanced tumours (T4) or advanced age (older than 75 years) received docetaxel (20 mg/m2 weekly) plus concurrent radiotherapy (2 Gy daily, to a total dose of 66 Gy). Twenty-two patients (64%) were stage III, 19 of whom had T4 tumours. Results: Twenty-seven patients (79%) completed the planned chemoradiotherapy treatment. Nine patients (26%) achieved a complete response and 8 (24%) achieved a partial response, for an overall response rate of 50%. Median survival was 6 months, and 1-year survival was 35%. Patients with T4 tumours had significantly shorter survival than other patients: 5 months for T4 tumours vs. 11 months for T1-3 (p=0.04). Grade 3-4 oesophagitis occurred in 6 patients (17%). There were two treatment-related deaths due to radiation pneumonitis. Conclusions: Docetaxel plus concurrent radiotherapy is active in poor-prognosis oesophageal cancer patients, with a lower incidence of severe oesophagitis than with cisplatin-based chemoradiotherapy regimens. This schedule can be considered, especially in patients with non-T4 tumours who are not candidates for oesophageal resection.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)177-182
Number of pages6
JournalClinical and Translational Oncology
Issue number3
Publication statusPublished - Mar 2007


  • Concurrent chemoradiotherapy
  • Docetaxel
  • Oesophageal cancer
  • Poor prognosis


Dive into the research topics of 'Weekly docetaxel with concomitant radiotherapy in patients with inoperable oesophageal cancer'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this