Sleep quality in a sample of patients with nonspecific chronic low back pain

C. Castellano-Tejedor, G. Costa-Requena, P. Lusilla-Palacios, T. Biedermann-Villagra, E. Barnola-Serra

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleResearchpeer-review

Abstract

© 2013 Elsevier España, S.L.U. y SERMEF. Todos los derechos reservados. Introduction: The aim of the present study was to describe sleep quality in patients with nonspecific chronic low back pain (CLBP) and its association with perceived pain, age, and/or gender.Material and methods: A total of 93 CLBP patients completed the Pittsburg Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) and a Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) for pain. Descriptive-correlational analyses and factor structure for the PSQI were calculated for these data.Results: Despite showing moderate-to-high mean scores on the VAS (mean = 6.31, SD = 2.10), pain perception, gender, and participants' age were not significantly related to global sleep quality. Overall sleep quality was described as "good" or "quite good" by 59.1% of the sample but as "quite bad" or "bad" by the remaining 40.9%. Factor analysis of the PSQI revealed six main factors that explained 67.56% of the variance (the first three accounted for 44.45% of the total variance).Conclusions: Globally, the quality of sleep in CLBP patients is satisfactory and is not related to perceived pain, age, or gender. However, almost a third of the sample (26.9%) reported impaired sleep maintenance (mainly women). Factor analysis revealed the suitability of the PSQI to study sleep quality in CLBP patients.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)219-225
JournalRehabilitacion
Volume48
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2014

Keywords

  • Chronic low backpain
  • Pittsburg Sleep
  • Quality
  • Sleep quality
  • Sleeping disorder

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Sleep quality in a sample of patients with nonspecific chronic low back pain'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this