Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia: Clinical characteristics and mortality risk factors in an Intensive Care Unit

M. F.L. Solano, F. Alvarez Lerma, S. Grau, C. Segura, A. Aguilar

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleResearchpeer-review

Abstract

© 2013 Elsevier España, S.L.U. y SEMICYUC. Objective: To describe the epidemiological characteristics of the population with Pneumocystis jiroveci (P. jiroveci) pneumonia, analyzing risk factors associated with the disease, predisposing factors for admission to an intensive care unit (ICU), and prognostic factors of mortality. Design and patients: A retrospective observational study was carried out, involving a cohort of patients consecutively admitted to a hospital in Spain from 1 January 2007 to 31 December 2011, with a final diagnosis of P. jiroveci pneumonia. Setting: The ICU and hospitalization service of Hospital del Mar, Barcelona (Spain). Results: We included 36 patients with pneumonia due to P. jiroveci. Of these subjects, 16 required ICU admission (44.4%). The average age of the patients was 41.3. ±. 12 years, and 23 were men (63.9%). A total of 86.1% had a history of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, and the remaining 13.9% presented immune-based disease subjected to immunosuppressive therapy. Risk factors associated to hospital mortality were age (51.8 vs. 37.3 years, P=.002), a higher APACHE score upon admission (17 vs. 13 points, P=.009), the need for invasive mechanical ventilation (27.8% vs. 11.1%, P=.000), requirement of vasoactive drugs (25.0% vs. 11.1%, P=.000), fungal coinfection (22.2% vs. 11.1%, P=.001), pneumothorax (16.7% vs. 83.3%, P=.000) and admission to the ICU (27.8% vs. 72.2% P=.000). Conclusions: The high requirement of mechanical ventilation and vasoactive drugs associated with fungal coinfection and pneumothorax in patients admitted to the ICU remain as risk factors associated with mortality in patients with P. jiroveci pneumonia.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)13-19
JournalMedicina Intensiva
Volume39
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2015

Keywords

  • Human immunodeficiency virus
  • Intensive care unit
  • Pneumocystis jiroveci
  • Pneumonia

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia: Clinical characteristics and mortality risk factors in an Intensive Care Unit'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this