Molecular alterations of EGFR and PTEN in prostate cancer: Association with high-grade and advanced-stage carcinomas

Silvia De Muga, Silvia Hernández, Laia Agell, Marta Salido, Nuria Juanpere, Marta Lorenzo, José A. Lorente, Sergio Serrano, Josep Lloreta

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleResearchpeer-review

42 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Prostate cancer is the second cause of cancer-related death in men of the Western world. The potential prognostic role of the combined alterations in EGFR and PTEN in prostate cancer is not well established. It was the aim of the study to investigate this role. Prevalence of EGFR and PTEN somatic mutations, EGFR amplification and EGFR protein expression were investigated in a series of prostate adenocarcinomas, classified according to the current Gleason grading system. Mutational analysis revealed eight EGFR and three PTEN mutations in 98 (8%) and 92 (3%) prostate adenocarcinomas, respectively. The combined prevalence of EGFR-PTEN mutations was 11%. EGFR overexpression was present in 31% of adenocarcinomas, with a marginally significant difference (P0.068) between Gleason grade 7 adenocarcinomas and Gleason grade 8 and metastatic adenocarcinomas. Four cases (4 of 31; 13%) had an EGFR gene gain due to chromosome 7 polysomy. In 35% of adenocarcinomas we found some type of EGFR-PTEN alteration, with a tendency to be associated with advanced-stage prostate adenocarcinomas (P0.04). The IVS1819 polymorphism was also associated with more advanced prostate adenocarcinomas. This is the first study reporting mutations of EGFR and PTEN in the same series of prostate adenocarcinomas. Protein overexpression is the most frequent EGFR abnormality. Mutations in EGFR and PTEN genes are a minor event, although prostate cancer represents the third neoplasm in which the EGFR gene mutations are more prevalent. Alterations in the EGFR-PTEN signaling pathway are present in a third of prostate adenocarcinomas, particularly affecting the more advanced cases. © 2010 USCAP, Inc.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)703-712
JournalModern Pathology
Volume23
Issue number5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 May 2010

Keywords

  • EGFR
  • FISH
  • Mutation
  • Overexpression
  • Prostate cancer
  • PTEN

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Molecular alterations of EGFR and PTEN in prostate cancer: Association with high-grade and advanced-stage carcinomas'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this