Meiotic abnormalities and spermatogenic parameters in severe oligoasthenozoospermia

J. M. Vendrell, F. García, A. Veiga, G. Calderón, S. Egozcue, J. Egozcue, P. N. Barri

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleResearchpeer-review

76 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The incidence of meiotic abnormalities and their relationship with different spermatogenic parameters was assessed in 103 male patients with presumably idiopathic severe oligoasthenozoospermia (motile sperm concentration ≤ 1.5 x 106/ml). Meiosis on testicular biopsies was independently evaluated by two observers. Meiotic patterns included normal meiosis and two meiotic abnormalities, i.e. severe arrest and synaptic anomalies. A normal pattern was found in 64 (62.1%), severe arrest in 21 (20.4%) and synaptic anomalies in 18 (17.5%). The overall rate of meiotic abnormalities was 37.9%. Most (66.7%) meiotic abnormalities occurred in patients with a sperm concentration ≤ 1 x 106/ml. In this group, total meiotic abnormalities were found in 57.8% of the patients; of these, 26.7% had synaptic anomalies. When the sperm concentration was ≤ 0.5 x 106/ml, synaptic anomalies were detected in 40% of the patients. In patients with increased follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) concentrations, total meiotic abnormalities occurred in 54.8% (synaptic anomalies in 22.6%). There were statistically significant differences among the three meiotic patterns in relation to sperm concentration (P < 0.001) and serum FSH concentration (P < 0.05). In the multivariate analysis, sperm concentration ≤ 1 x 106/ml and/or FSH concentration > 10 IU/l were the only predictors of meiotic abnormalities.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)375-378
JournalHuman Reproduction
Volume14
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 1999

Keywords

  • Intracytoplasmic sperm injection
  • Meiosis
  • Meiotic chromosome abnormalities
  • Oligoasthenozoospermia
  • Sperm parameters

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Meiotic abnormalities and spermatogenic parameters in severe oligoasthenozoospermia'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this