Link between Brugada phenocopy and myocardial ischemia: Results from the International Registry on Brugada Phenocopy

Grace Xu, Byron H. Gottschalk, Andrés Pérez-Riera, Raimundo Barbosa-Barros, Gregory Dendramis, Aldo G. Carrizo, Sahil Agrawal, Antonio Bayés de Luna, Marek Jastrzębski, János Tomcsányi, Adrian Baranchuk

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticleResearch

    3 Citations (Scopus)

    Abstract

    © 2019 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Background: Brugada phenocopies clinical entities that have indistinguishable electrocardiographic (ECG) patterns from true congenital Brugada syndrome. However, they are induced by other clinical circumstances such as myocardial ischemia. The purpose of our study was to examine the clinical features and pathogenesis of ischemia-induced Brugada phenocopy (BrP). Methods: Data from 17 cases of ischemia-induced BrP were collected from the International Registry (www.brugadaphenocopy.com). Data were extracted from these publications and authors were contacted to provide further insight into each case. Results: Of the patients included in this study, 71% were male. Mean age was 59 ± 11 years (range: 38–76). Type-1 Brugada ECG pattern occurred in 15/17 (88%) of the cases, while a type-2 Brugada ECG pattern was observed in the other 2/17 (12%). In all cases, the Brugada ECG pattern resolved upon correction of the ischemia, indicating ischemia as the inducing circumstance. No arrhythmic events have been detected acutely or during the follow-up. Reported time to resolution ranged from 2 minutes to 5 hours. Provocative challenges using sodium channel blocking agents were performed in 7/17 cases (41%), and all failed to induce a Brugada ECG pattern (BrP Class A). The remaining 10/17 cases (59%) did not undergo provocative testing due to various clinical reasons. Conclusions: Myocardial ischemia is a commonly reported etiology of BrP. Importantly, this study found no association between BrP induced by myocardial ischemia and sudden cardiac death or malignant ventricular arrhythmias.
    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)658-662
    JournalPACE - Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology
    Volume42
    DOIs
    Publication statusPublished - 1 Jun 2019

    Keywords

    • Brugada phenocopy
    • Brugada syndrome
    • ischemia
    • myocardial ischemia

    Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Link between Brugada phenocopy and myocardial ischemia: Results from the International Registry on Brugada Phenocopy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this