A case study of a life-cycle assessment (LCA) is performed concerning the treatment of household solid wastes in a landfill. The stages considered in this LCA study are: goal and scope definition, inventory analysis and impact assessment. The data of the inventory include the consumption of raw materials and energy through the transport of wastes and the management of landfill, and the corresponding emissions to the environment. Abiotic resource depletion, global warming, acidification, eutrophication and human toxicological impacts have been considered as impact categories for the impact assessment phase of the LCA. A comparison of the environmental impact of the landfilling with and without energy recovery is carried out.
|Journal||International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment|
|Publication status||Published - 1 Jan 1997|
- Abiotic resources depletion, landfilling
- Acidification, landfilling
- Energy recovery, landfilling environmental impact, landfilling eutrophication, landfilling
- Global warming, landfilling
- Household solid wastes, treatment