A recent restoration held in the parish church of St. James in Turégano (Segovia) has disclosed one of the most striking representations of the Jamesian cult in the 13th century. Behind the back of a Baroque altarpiece had kept hidden a peculiar apse wall decorated with carvings. It consists of a set of reliefs depicting a group of pilgrims standing or kneeling before the statue of the apostle Saint James. It is very likely that this remarkable composition echoed the new scenery consecrated in 1211 in the main altar at the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela as well as the new pilgrim rites related to it. Besides the carvings keeps an original painted layer that enable us to revisited the question of the polychromy of Romanesque sculpture as well as to compare them to the also coloured-reliefs of the Pórtico de la Gloria.
|Translated title of the contribution||A new testimony in the iconography of st. James the Greater: The painted reliefs at Saint-James in Turégano (Segovia) and its relationship with the main altar of the Cathedral of Santiago|
|Number of pages||45|
|Publication status||Published - 2012|